View Single Post
Old 11-01-2004, 06:21 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by possumfat9
This car has worked perfectly up until this problem. One day I cranked her and we got about 1 mile from home and she just did not want to go. I did not want to walk so I continued to give her the gas. After about 4 miles all was ok except that I pulled over because of smoke. Many people stopped because they thought car was on fire( It was that bad). This was many months ago and it still does the same thing. It must comepletly cool down after doing it in morning before it will do again in evening. Also there have probably been 5 times out of 200 that the problem did not occur. Thanks to all for help!!
Hi Mate, This is what I would do if you were a coustomer of mine. I'd keep the car over night, hook it up to an analyser check, Spark advance, and fuel injector pulse duration for both banks. Then I would just sit there as it was started watching for the clues. This would be in the form of the spark retarding back more than 10 degs from the normal, or the injector pulse length shortening.

The injection pulse should start high, coming down as it warms up,( don't know for sure, but it may use a double pulse,at first to supply the extra fuel ). If it is going lean you will see the pulse length shorten. I would check using a twin trace scope, comparing say the middle injector on each side, at the same time. The ECU can operate them independently, and as the ECU gives a code for one o2 sensor, it may be confined to one side.

I reckon this has gone past the guessing game, and needs some expert looking into. I am sure that if this was done, it would show either the spark or fuel change to cause the trouble. If not it would have be an act of God.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.