View Single Post
Old 12-22-2018, 01:30 PM

Registered SVX
Re: 3rd and 4th gear are not engaging + weird smell

OK Filip,

The past history of the car is not known so that it is very worthwhile for you to cover and hope for what could be cheap repairs, even though this has become frustrating and difficult, before considering the very expensive option of replacing the complete transmission.

You have confirmed that you have a VTD transmission and you have a constant indication of a faulty “C” solenoid valve. Solenoid “C” controls the distribution of torque between the front and rear wheels by controlling the operation of the centre differential and could be causing the rather strange slipping that you are experiencing. You also advise, "a shift change to 2nd is accompanied by relatively heavy kind of force struck going to rear wheels". If only to the rear wheels, this could indicate faulty torque distribution.

Unfortunately it is not clear as to exactly what fault causes the transmission to operate in limp mode and it is probable that the a solenoid “C” fault could also result in limp mode becoming engaged.

As I recall fixing this particular fault does not require removing the complete transmission and it has been detailed here within previous threads, so that a search should provide the information you require to fix the problem. While this "C" fault remains it is difficult to exactly analyse the overall situation.

Hang in there, as here you have friends here willing to assist.

P.S. The obvious next step is to check the C solenoid valve in every way possible without pulling things to pieces. Disconnect the plug from the TCU rather than work at the transmission connector awkwardly placed under the car, then locate the fourth pin from one end, which carries a green/red wire that runs directly to the C solenoid.

Check and measure the resistance from this plug pin to ground and therefore the anticipated resistance of the solenoid winding. The next two pins from the close by end, with black connecting wires, should provide a convenient ground connection.

As I recall the correct resistance is recorded somewhere in the manuals but I no longer have them. Can someone assist in this regard ?

If everything appears in order, as a mechanical check, briefly apply quick 12 volt pulses from a fused circuit, say the cigarette lighter socket and listen for clicks coming from the transmission. A length of plastic tubing can work quite well as a stethoscope. You must accept that operation of the armature and valve may not be audible, but give it a try and follow your instincts and common sense.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 12-23-2018 at 01:06 AM. Reason: P.S. added.