View Single Post
Old 08-08-2006, 06:31 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Does the front Sub-Frame move on the frame and effect alignment

Does the front Sub-Frame move on the frame and effect alignment?

I am looking for advice on this subject, let me explain. The front sub-frame is attached to the frame with four bolts. Each of the bolts go through the center of rubber bushings that are part of the sub-frame. The center of the bushings have metal sleeves and the outside of the bushings are pressed into the sub-frame. There is clearance between the inside diameter of the metal sleeve and the bolt outside diameter. This is clearance that might allow the sub-frame to move.

This clearance as I remember is about 1/8” total or 1/16” per side. I do not have the exact measurement right now.

The sub-frame is held to the frame by the clamping force of the bolts that goes through the bushings. The clamping force prevents the sub-frame from SLIDING on the frame. The clamping force of the bolts applies a friction force to the bushings and has to be higher than the acceleration force of the front wheels and also the braking force and cornering force of the front wheels. IF the clamping/friction force is lower then the tire forces or reduced such as when the sub-frame bushing are covered in oil, then the sub-frame can move when the tire forces are applied.

When the clamping force of the bolts is NOT high enough the sub-frame will move relative to the frame during barking, acceleration and cornering.

So the question is this: If the sub-frame moves around 1/16” or so will it effect the alignment?

If this “movement” is a problem can it be corrected with a metal stainless steel SLEEVE between the clamping bolt and sleeve in the bushing, something to take up the clearance between the bolt and bushing?

Is there a similar problem with rear sub-frame? I do not know much about that system of attachment, as I have not it apart.

Thanks