View Single Post
Old 01-26-2006, 10:30 AM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
still don;t know why your are on an SVX board though. not trying to be a dick but just trying to understand. We are a small select group, why us?? Are you other places as well

Tom
To those who ask a completely reasonable question, I give the same answer I gave another esteemed member when asked this over PM.

I am here to speak with the members of this site who can conduct themselves maturely in discussion. I'm here to talk with people who have opinions differing from mine, and to learn from them, as I do every day elsewhere in life.

Do you belong to any sites that are radically different in orientation? For example, I am a regular at LS1tech and East Coast F-body, and I also frequent LS1.com, Lateral-G.net, and Protouring.com. However, to stay up to date with the competition, I visit SVTforums.com, NASIOC, and here. I learn so much from these sites, even if it is just that the opinions of those outside the LS1 world are very very distorted in regards to the engine, the cars it is used in, and the company that makes it.

OBVIOUSLY I come here prepared to meet resistance from fans of the SVX and Subaru because I come from such a different "background". I own a car that is very threatening to some Subaru owners. The thing that get's me is, of all the places i've visited, this place and NASIOC are by far the most hostile to anyone from outside the Subaru domain. Even the owners of the WS6's archenemy, the Supercharged SVT Cobra (at SVTForums), are not near as up-in-arms in an LS1 owner's presence as the members of this board and NASIOC are.

It could be because of the age difference (most of the SC Cobra owners are late twenties and older, while most STi owners seem to be under 25). I dunno, but it's quite fascinating. I conduct myself similarly on the other sites, and while I certainly come across immaturity, I don't meet the blatant disregard for reality on the other sites that I do here and on NASIOC.

So there you go. If that doesn't explain it, then I can't help you.