View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 12:46 PM

Registered SVX
Re: 20/13 Cruise - I'd like a head count if there is interest

Quote:
Originally Posted by excaliber View Post
hello all!
i know input from myself is unheard of and probably not valued seeing as i wont be at the meet with an svx....HOWEVER. I do wish to give some info on the pagoda and the area surrounding it. I want to say now that i am NOT shooting down anyones ideas here but it IS a bad neighborhood. and if everyone does go up there depending on how many cars weve got, because it is a public spot, sometimes parking can be a hassle. Especially if your trying to get those group pictures. My car actually almost got hit there more than once because of people trying to be all "tokyo drift" and came flying around that blind corner at the top.

I know that area well enough to say that it is certian there will be at least one traffic light that people might get cutoff. in every direction coming up to the pagoda that i know of, its surrounded mostly by dense, city like area untill you actually get close to the road up the hill. Perhaps youve done really well with mapping out the potential route and i am wrong

I hope everything goes well no matter what
I disagree to a point. Skyline Drive isnt a bad area during the daytime (which is when we will be up there). I know that route very well, and the back ways up the hill to get there, as I work the Pagoda and Duryea hill climb races every year and used to travel through Antietem Dam area 2-3 times a week. I am well aware of the blind corner you are speaking of, hence why I plan to come in from the other direction and hit the Firetower first, with the option to drive down to the Pagoda if anyone is so inclined.

Parking at the Firetower isn't an issue. If we can get 35-40 race cars up there, I'm certain we can get the SVX group in

The route I have planned out will avoid going through the city areas and will take everyone up over the back side of the hill. At the very worst, I can alter the route a bit and run everyone out through Oley and down 12 to the left at the bottom of the hill that is the run off for Skyline drive.

If anyone wants to run a shorter route, I can shorten it up but it will take away from the scenery. From Douglassville we can run 662 to 73 and from 73 down to 12 and get onto Skyline at the bottom of the hill (as mentioned above). It will shave a bit of time and mileage off. Planning this cruise has been a tough balance between mileage/time and scenery. The whole point of a cruise is to have fun and see some sights IMHO, and without the scenery there isnt much point in running the cruise...

I'll be down to the meet in the morning, and we can all discuss it from there, see what kind of numbers we have, and who wants to do what. Then we can hold a vote.