View Single Post
Old 12-07-2006, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
What do you mean by "but the DASH is still fine" i.e. without the main lights on? Do Gauges operate OK, dash illumination not dim, trouble lights normal. I can only surmise that lighting requiring a low current is not affected.

I gather the problem is intermittent, please confirm, and if so report any repeatable conditions which produce the problem.

Please understand that an exact and accurate picture is called for, if one is to assist rather than a convoluted thread of information.

Hello Tony and Trevor,
i perfectly agree when you ask for precision in describing the problem, because it clearly quickens a lot the way to solution.
I promise i do my best in order to provide you with accurate and detailed info, if i fail, it's mainly due to my limited knowledge on the subject.
The car sometimes starts, sometimes doesn't, the problem is definitely intermittent, going from no problem at all, to spending fifteen minutes in order for the engine to start running. In either case, as soon as the electric starter turns on, the engine immediately follows, showing no difficulty in starting. From what i gather, the starter for some reasons isn't always receiving the current to start. When it fails to start, i can hear a distinct "clack" coming from under the hood (i took a picture showing the noise origin area, i don't know if that may be useful, if so, i'll post it).
The only association with increased number of attempts to succeed in the starting procedure, is with heat. Especially during summertime, day and night, after driving for more then 20-30 minutes, as the engine takes much longer to cool off, in the whole hour following the moment i parked, it takes many many attempts to get the engine start. (filling up gas in summer is very embarassing, as i'm stuck at the petrol station and can't start the car).

As for the tests: I just went down and, since it's night, i could see the change in light intensity much better than yesterday. When trying to run the engine, the radio, clock, A/C panel lights all go dim;on the other hand, the headlights don't, not at all, as the dash illumination doesn't and all the trouble lights are seemingly unaffected.
The cruise control provokes a "click" (actually two different clicks) when shifting from gears on to neutral and from neutral to the gears. the click is located exactly where Tony described (under dashboard above the govebox).

As for now, that's all.
Thanks,
Ikke