View Single Post
Old 12-07-2006, 02:04 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikkewil
Hello Tony and Trevor and thank youvery much for the support shown, please forgive my limits on technical terms.
As Tony wrote, upon attempting ignition, all the lights in and outside the car go dim, but the dash is still fine.
And doing the "cruise control test", everything is as Tony reported, i hear distinct "clicks" when shifting on neutral. I have not taken the time to do the full electrical pathway test as Trevor suggested, but if needed to gather more info, i will.
As i posted in the other thread (strange electrical problem) the battery is new and works perfect, and the electric starter has been replaced less than a year ago, without solving the problem.
Hopefully with the two posts i provided you with all the info you needed in order to be able to help me, but i'm ready to do more studies and reasearches until i find the solution.
Thank you very much,
Ikke
You say "upon attempting ignition, all the lights in and outside the car go dim, but the dash is still fine."

I presume you are saying that, if you have all the lights in and outside the car when switched on, they all go dim when you turn the key to operate the starter. If so, this is a clear indication that full battery volts are not available on line, when a substantial current drain is applied. Faulty battery, not fully charged or poor battery earth or positive connection are the obvious causes. Others include faulty fuse box connections, faulty fuse link connections.

What do you mean by "but the DASH is still fine" i.e. without the main lights on? Do Gauges operate OK, dash illumination not dim, trouble lights normal. I can only surmise that lighting requiring a low current is not affected.

I gather the problem is intermittent, please confirm, and if so report any repeatable conditions which produce the problem.

Please understand that an exact and accurate picture is called for, if one is to assist rather than a convoluted thread of information.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!