View Single Post
Old 05-17-2004, 01:08 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Chike,

If you're going to race totally "by the book" in G Stock you've got to stick with the stock springs. Any bushings have to stay the same "type" of material that came stock (which means you can go to urethane bushings, but not to metal bushings). You can go with the Koni strut inserts (I will be running them next year). Your rims have to be the same width and diameter as the stock rims and have to be within .25 inches of the stock offset. You can do just about anything you want to the front sway bar (even take it off, if you want to!). You can't touch the rear sway bar. You can go with R-Compound tires and - to the best I can tell - they just have to fit within the wheelwells when mounted on the rims that fit the requirements above. If your car is 1992 or older, you can upgrade your brake lines to braided lines. No engine mods other than going with a high-flow air filter (K&N). Exhaust mods are limited to Cat-back systems.

This all typed, let me add that SCCA events are all "self-policed". If you get to the National level, this policing gets very serious (so I've been told by a SCCA Instructor who competes at the National level). Now, how does this factor into what I'm running and what you propose to run....1. The RX-7 rims are slightly, but not noticeably, wider than the stock SVX rims (they're within the rules on diameter and offset), 2. Mychailo's springs do lower the car slightly, but not so much that it's obvious unless there is a stock SVX parked right next to you (right Harry?), 3. My SVX is a 92, so I'm good with my ss brake lines - you wouldn't be - suggest you try the "whole bunch of tie-wraps" approach to getting a firmer pedal - or just buy new stock lines (the stock lines will get a little soft over time), 4. My slotted disks all around are within the rules, 5. Mychailo's 19mm rear bar is definitely a rule breaker - see "local vs national" comments - I'm currently back with the stock bar with some fine tuning until I get another bar from Mychailo, 6. Best I can tell, I can go with a wider tire and still be within the stock rules -- I might just try a 245/45 profile next year if I can find a set on EBay!

Bottom line is that the SVX is a fun car to autocross, so get out there and enjoy yourself. The Mini Cooper S and Celica GTS that are also in G-Stock are very tough acts to follow!!

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker