View Single Post
Old 02-01-2005, 09:43 PM
deruvian

Re: Re: Tapping into TCU wires with a digital multimeter?

Quote:
Originally posted by kuoh
A small pin and an alligator clip would do the trick if you're looking for something temporary. However, this somewhat loose connection could cause spikes in the signal causing the TCU to falsely register error codes or operate erratically. A more robust method would be to use inline wire splicers but they would damage the insulation slightly. Honestly though, I wouldn't worry so much about damaging the wire, as they can usually be easily repaired, especially if they aren't normally exposed to the elements.

However, your method of extracting those few extra hundred RPMs sounds more risky and less reliable than just installing an existing chip upgrade.

KuoH

I thought about alligator clips, and they do seem a bit flimsy. This loose connection might be slightly insufficient, but no erractic codes will be thrown. The signal will still be going to the TCU, it will just be going to my multimeter as well.

And as for the chip upgrade that you mentioned... There is none. There is currently no TCU upgrade for the SVX. Perhaps my explanation earlier was a little funky, but I want to do this in conjunction with something like the ECUtune Stage 1 chip (which "modifies" the ECU). That chip changes the ECU rev limiter to 7400, but the 4EAT TCU still forces upshifting at 6500 RPM. I want to change it to 7000.

I'm currently not looking for a permanent way to attach the multimeter to the wires. I just need to do it for 10 - 15 minutes in order to see which direction the voltage signal for the TCU varies, and by how much.