Old 07-07-2009, 02:57 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: buzzing noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by radarwhiz View Post
Thanks all for the advise. That's what I was thinking. I'll probably just replace it with straight pipe. I had plans of redoing the exhaust anyway just not ready to shell out the cash for it right now. what is the resonator for and will I get any better exhaust 'notes' without it? boxer engines sound so great and I want to be able to hear it!
In my opinion it disimproves the sound to an unacceptable level. However I'm of the 'older generation' round here.

If you are under 30 and have ever remotely considered that the bean can rear pipe on a ricer Honda Civic sounds or looks good, you may like it.

It makes the overall sound slightly louder, especially on acceleration. However, although I could live with louder, it also make the sound harder, like the blare off a two stroke bike. It seems to lose some of the deepness, there's no rumble in the sound any more.

You may like it, so it won't cost you much to try it. I advise you to retain the old resonator though, if you don't get on with the blare you might want to fix and refit the box.

BTW the resonator is there to aid the exit velocity of the hot gases. Taking it out of the exhaust line is sure to negatively affect low down torque, although I don't know of anyone on here who has ever done a dyno test, before and after, to verify the numbers.

If you fancy trying something new you might consider opening the resonator chamber and removing the loose baffles, then stitching it up and putting it back in the line. It will be louder than before, but the expansion will still aid gas velocity, and with any luck it won't sound like a wasp in a bottle.

Joe

[Old Fogey ]
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl