View Single Post
Old 04-21-2003, 05:47 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Lasher
Would the Idle Air Control unit possibly cause my SVX to shift poorly at low rpms? Cause that is what she seems to be doing. I went and cleaned my MAF as well as the Throttle Body, and the dying has decreased in frequency, but shifing is poor.. As I described before, going from 1st to 2nd, and more so from 2nd to 3rd, the rpms will jump up and the car will act as though I had slipped her into neutral for a few seconds before the rpms drop and the next gear catches) This only seems to happen at low speeds/low rpms (when I have only depressed the accelerator pedal lightly). When I use more gas from 1st gear, she shifts fine, if not a little less smoothly than I would like. Could this be related to the IAC? Any other ideas? Would a simple transmission rebuild be the only solution? If so, I'll have to shoot the car through the hood.
As VK says above, Lasher, this is not good news, particularly if it is caused by the tranny slipping.

However, another avenue to check first which is cheaper would be the TPS, the Throttle Position Sensor. This is a potentiometer, and the rate at which it changes voltage from 0 to 5 tells the TCU how and when to shift. It can go faulty, give signals difficult to interpret, and will give the revving you describe at low speeds. You should check this out first. A new one costs about
$150 from Subaru.com. Remember, if it is the TPS and you do not fix it, the continual revving will be slipping and wearing the tranny clutches.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl