View Single Post
Old 01-29-2003, 09:05 PM
hotshoe50

to Jay_Walker

Hello my friend!

First, thanks Mike, I think that you understand what I was saying.

I'm really sorry that one of our group lost his car and do to a combination of circumstances, had a huge accident.

I have had three chidren get their driving licence and each has been 16, 17 18 and 19: trust me, I've walked that line a bunch of times.

If you read his accident report, and then my reply, you might see that I am not so much criticising young drivers but rather encouraging them to take driving very seriously.

Personally, I do and still teach high performance and racing techniques and still race cars on the track. So does my son and he is 19 next week: that said he slid on snow this year and in spite of 9 years of racing, 2 schools, managed to kiss the nose of his car.

We all can do it, easily,,, I just think that we can reduce the odds and do better: 17 year olds are NOT immortal and are not gifted drivers, much as they think so, unless they have learned to be and thats my point.

I'm really happy he is OK and hope he gets another car (maybe even an svx), but the message here is not about roaring down fast roads at night, its about knowing your abilities and limits and operating within them

Hotshoe