View Single Post
Old 05-01-2001, 11:05 PM
blonde_man

Lightbulb Why do Brake Rotors warp?

Well I believe the causes and solutions to this "problem" have gotten out of hand, and I believe that I may be partially guilty for it.

You have to really analyze the situation, and get to the root of the problem. What causes rotors to warp? Well I Just replaced the front brake pads on my SVX, and inside the box of the new pads was a piece of paper with some information and guidelines for installation.

One thing that particularily caught my eye said something along these lines, "Be sure to properly and equally torque all lug nuts to manufacturer specification to prevent rotors from warping."

Having read that, do you really think that these Subaru rotors were "under-engineered?" Also are you aware that the Subaru Impreza WRC's of the early to mid 90's used the same exact rotors as the STOCK SVX(same dimension, different lug pattern). Sure the SVX weighs a great deal more, but the punishment subjected to those rotors during a rally must be the equivalent to, if not exceeding the abuse that even the most spirited SVX driver could put it through!

I believe that these (like probably many other) rotors, are just highly sensitive to a precise and proper installation. That's why you get reports of some guys braking on a set forever without problems, while others experience warping within weeks of installation. Attention to detail is KEY to every service rendered upon our SVXes!

Take note of that friends!