View Single Post
Old 08-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: US over to europan.

Thanks for the erection of a little humour, Keith.

Harvey & Tom are both convinced the use of the reverse flow solenoid will make the gearbox work. Just in the interest of checking out the theory I would like to see the solenoid valve changed, just to see if it stopped the binding and made the car at least driveable.

In all honesty though I do believe that even if that worked it would not work too well, I feel the programming is too disparate and incorrect for the US type box. Michael is saying this too, so is Phil and so is Trevor. As I see it the shift maps for the US type are programmed to control 90% front drive to 50/50, while the VTD box computer is designed to handle 64% rear drive to 50/50. I can't see the logic circuits handling that difference, the TCU may lose all intelligence and default to limp home mode.

Even though the change of solenoid may release the binding, in my view the correct path of action at this juncture is to fit and wire the USA type TCU. Alex will have the benefit of superior acceleration with the 4.444 ratio, and no matter that all are agreed the VTD is best, the ACT4 will work like a good thing in the worst of traction conditions in Norway. The man will not be short changed, he will have an excellent car.

And I'm joining Keith in Switzerland now too, that's all I'm going to say about it.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl