View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007, 02:57 PM
Network Design Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySVX View Post
Travel, see the world. Your supporting your family, which they will appriciate. My father was gone every other week when i was growing up. But we had a nice place to live and nice things. He was there some time, just not all. The travel reduced when i was in my early teens, when the real male bonding usually occurs anyways.

Plus, who knows, hte travel bit may be long term more htan 6 months, which means a lot more money, and who knows, you may be able to take them with you on certain trips. If i was offered even national travel at my current job, i'd take it for what i make now, and travel positions usually pay more.

Give your wife/kid the life they deserve, they'll love you for it even if your not there every single second. You'll still be there at least some of the time, which is better htan none, like so many parents are these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevebsy View Post
I would try to stall the 6mo people if you can. If you certain they will take you, then you can use this as a wedge to the perm. position people and maybe they will speed up the interviewing/offering process if they are really interested in you.

You'd have to be a little crazy to refuse what is essentially doubling of your salary though...any possibilities with them that it could go beyond 6 months?
If not, you could always take the next 6 months off to look around, see the family, etc..
For all intents and purposes, there is very little chance of there being anything follow on. At best a slightly longer term due to delays.

With the position coming up so fast, I doubt much of a delay is in order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Money is something you'll never have enough of. Time away from your two year old is something you'll never get back.

Nice things are just that nice things. They aren't people. I grew up much like Jay talks about with a father that spend much of his time traveling to Military bases in California for weeks at a time. Never really wanted for any objects but at the same time I don't really remember a relationship with my father from 5-12.

I would do what ever allows me to live a comfortable life while spending the most time with your family.

Then again what do I know. I quit working to spend time with my little one. Wouldn't change it for a thing either!
I would be home every Friday by dinner for the whole weekend. Except on rare occasion, and on those the time would be made up.

This is really more about giving up the stability of something stable to something very lucrative, yet short term and unstable...

I almost hate that I have this decision to make.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.