View Single Post
Old 09-03-2005, 08:35 PM
SVX Appeal

Oh no. Somebody is resurrecting an old thread.

Yeah, I'm having similar problems. For about a week I was experiencing an intermittent misfire. Sometimes I'd notice a hesitation off idle, but it wasn't apparent what it is until the torque converter locks up. At first it would just stumble occasionally, but then it would stumble whenever I was cruising. It would go away if I advanced or retarded the throttle. At first I was worried that I'd have a horrible time diagnosing an intermittent electrical problem, but luckily it stopped being intermittent. Now it constantly misses at idle. Yes!

So I pulled the plug off of each fuel injector, one at a time. Number two cylinder isn't firing. Okay, pull the coil pack and throw a spark plug in it. Hmmm, it's sparking. Okay, pull the injector out and replace it. Hmmm, still missing. Okay, swap plugs with injector two and four. Still missing. Okay, maybe the coil is just telling me what I want to hear, so I wire up an inline spark tester. Yup, it's definitely sparking when it's missing.

Maybe this is bad. So I do a compression test. Wow, 195 PSI. That's more than acceptable. Fuel, spark, compression. What else is there? Somehow I think the coil pack or fuel injector is still no good, but I wonder about the ECU. It seems highly unlikely, but this behavior really doesn't make sense.

I pulled the injector out. It clicks. Air doesn't pass when it's closed. If I apply current, air goes through.

I think this car needs a carburetor and distributor.

I guess I’m not really looking for ideas, but if you have any, feel free to share. I mostly just want somebody to listen to me complain. Thanks. That is all.