Thread: 4WS no go :-(
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2006, 04:35 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutshell
Basically they tools several hundred bucks off me then worked out they had to fix the problem.

I could argue they should have done the job right from the get-go, but if they had I doubt the previous owner would have sold it to me.

Sort of catch 22.
All very alarming, as I thought Winger Subaru knew their stuff. After all the fix analysis was quite logical, taking all of what they had done into account.

As there appears to be little data on offer, a short explanation of how it all works may prove of interest.

The four wheel steering system is completely electrical, there being no mechanical connection between the steering and the rear wheels. A potentiometer type transducer is fitted to the bottom of the steering column as the actuating control device.

The rear wheel steering is mechanically actuated by means of an electric motor and a position sensor is incorporated at the output of the associated reduction gear box. The controller is mounted as a unit in the rear luggage space. The motor is switched by means of field effect transistors within the controller. The circuit is continuously alive and does not turn of with the ignition for obvious reasons. As a result, this should be taken into account in the event of a flat battery problem, which is otherwise not accountable.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!