Thread: 4WS no go :-(
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2006, 02:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to nutshell Send a message via MSN to nutshell Send a message via Yahoo to nutshell Send a message via Skype™ to nutshell
Thumbs up 4ws finally fixed

Finally. I can report my SVX is now running as it was designed.

For three days last week technicians at Subaru's Auckland dealership (Winger Subaru) labored to correct the problem caused when they removed, reconditioned and replaced the steering rack in February, without knowing the vehicle had 4ws.

To get the adjustments right, the techs referred the problem to Subaru New Zealand. It seems the problem was that the rack was reassembled wrong. The steering pinion was two teeth off the centre of the rack.

Once the rack and pinion was correctly centered, and all 4 wheels correctly aligned, it was possible to finally reset the steering angle sensor to zero.

The results are darn near miraculous. Not only does the car now track like glue through corners, its gas milage has improved and it actually "feels" as though it is all together again. Those strange clunks and groans seem to have vanished, and it is settling down nicely.

My thanks to you guys for your support.
If it were able, I am sure the car would thank you too.

Now I can get on with the fun of learning to drive it.