View Single Post
Old 04-29-2001, 10:47 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Today it is in the mid 60s, sunny and there is a light breeze. Not a cloud in the sky. Just gorgeous.

And I have to be in the office.

I was on my way in when I decided to turn left instead of right on Jackson Road. Right takes me to the office, left to Ann Arbor Subaru. I figured, if they were open, I might be able to get my hands around the wheel of a WRX.

They weren't open. I turned around. I didn't want to. It was a beautiful day and for the past four months I have driven on straight, flat roads in the city and outlying suburbs.

'If I don't do this, I'm going to *think* about doing it all day long.'

So I turned around again, heading West away from Ann Arbor (and the office).

And I drove until I found roads with curves.

I had to drive for quite some time.

A side road off of 'Old US-12' called 'Dancer Road' begged to be checked out. It was gravel. No thanks.

I pulled into a town called Grass Lake. After taking a peek around, I stopped and bought the cheapest 93-octane I've seen in a few weeks - $1.83.9. I asked the lady behind the counter, 'is there a lake in Grass Lake?'

With a smile, she pointed me in the right direction. I drove the mile or so, parked the car, and ate my lunch in a park on Grass Lake.

A few minutes after sitting on the bench, a marina let loose some kind of growling, closed-cockpit racing boat on the lake. I grabbed my camera and took a couple shots of it just for grins.

After my lunch, I decided I ought to head back. Taking the freeway, I was in the office in less than 30 minutes.

Living in a pretty big town, driving on such horrible roads and never seeing any features to the terrain, I was convinced that leaving VT meant that I left any kind of interesting sunny-day driving behind me. Michigan proved me wrong today. I found rural towns, farms and people that reminded me of Wisconsin, where I grew up.

There is fun driving to be had out there. I found some today.

Thanks for reading. Now I have some catching up to do.

END OF LINE

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE