Thread: Xylene result
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2005, 01:38 PM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx
I just read info at the USMB.net site (that was taken from another site) that indicated that Toluene is just an octane booster, not an injector cleaner. Since you got the results you did, guess I may as well try it myself to see. This is what I read at the USMB.net site *Long* --->

"The main ingredient in Octane Boosters is often Toluene (114 octane). The clever thing is that by packaging it in 6oz. containers and using the words Octane Booster, you can magically turn a $3.99 gallon of Toluene into an $85 a gallon gasoline supplement.

Toluene is a pure hydrocarbon (C7H8). i.e. it contains only hydrogen and carbon atoms. It belongs to a particular category of hydrocarbons called aromatic hydrocarbons. Complete combustion of toluene yields CO2 and H2O. This fact ensures that the entire emission control system such as the catalyst and oxygen sensor of your car is unaffected. There are no metallic compounds (lead, magnesium etc), no nitro compounds and no oxygen atoms in toluene. It is made up of exactly the same ingredients as ordinary gasoline. In fact it is one of the main ingredients of gasoline.

Toluene has a RON octane rating of 121 and a MON rating of 107, leading to a (R+M)/2 rating of 114. (R+M)/2 is how ordinary fuels are rated in the US. Note: toluene has a sensitivity rating of 121-107=14. This compares favorably with alcohols which have sensitivities in the 20-30 range. The more sensitive a fuel is the more its performance degrades under load. Toluene's low sensitivity means that it is an excellent fuel for a heavily loaded engine.

Toluene is denser than ordinary gasoline (0.87 g/mL vs. 0.72-0.74) and contains more energy per unit volume. Thus combustion of toluene leads to more energy being liberated and thus more power generated. This is in contrast to oxygenated octane boosters like ethanol or MTBE which contain less energy per unit volume compared to gasoline. The higher heating value of toluene also means that the exhaust gases contain more kinetic energy, which in turn means that there is more energy to drive turbocharger vanes. In practical terms this is experienced as a faster onset of turbo boost.

Toulene
R+M/2...114
Cost...$4.00/gal
Mixtures with 91 Octane Premium
10%...93.3 Octane
20%...96.0 Octane
30%...97.9 Octane

You can make your own by combining Toluene with Kerosene in a 6:1 ratio and gain approx. 1.1 octane (RON) by adding 1 gal. to a 20 gal. tank of gas. You can buy Toluene in 1 gal. or up to 55 gal. from a Sherman Williams Paint store. Care need be taken when mixing it and storing it. Octane ratings can be very easily calculated by simple averaging. For example, the tank of an Esprit is 21.0 gallons. Filling it with 20 gallons of 91 octane and 1 gallon of toluene (114 octane) will yield a fuel mix of:

(20.0 * 91) + (1 * 114) / 21.0 = 92.09"
1996 3.3ltr SVX (AWD/Auto) 15.070@91.38mph
***R.I.P***
2010 RAV4 AWD Sport (13.717 @ 99.19mph )
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT (15.2 @ 90mph)