View Single Post
Old 11-12-2007, 09:05 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
STI Suspension Swap Project

I posted this in the Megan Racing group buy thread, but thought I'd start a new thread to get more opinions. I'm planning on test fitting a v7 STi suspension in my SVX in the coming weeks. I've already found a way around the front sway bar endlink of the SVX. The rear endlink from an '05 Outback is the perfect length to fit a bracket welded to the control arm:

This removes the requirement to have the endlink attach to the strut. For the test phase I would just fabricate a bracket myself, but if this works I'll go to the machine shop and have a batch cut properly.

A member of the local Subie club has offered to let me borrow a spare v7 suspension he has since upgrading to coilovers. All I need it for is a mock up and fit test. He's confirmed that it uses the two bolt lower strut-to-knuckle mount in the rear (some Subies have a pillowball bushing in the rear).

To the best of my knowledge, if the lower strut will attach to the knuckle, this should work. If the top hat won't fit is it possible to swap the SVX top hat from a Koni/GC system onto another coilover system? If that's possible the only fitment requirement is the lower mount.

Is there any reason that the STi shocks won't work with the SVX's additional weight? I'm not worried about a two-year life expectancy or something, more a "will-this-thing-blow-up-if-I-hit-it-too-hard" sort of thing.

If this works I would like to go straight to an aftermarket STi suspension, coilovers etc. The heavy spring rates should help negate the extra weight, right?

I'm a rookie at all of this, so any of you more knowledgable types feel free to tell me I'm out to lunch.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Last edited by Crazy_pilot; 11-19-2007 at 08:57 PM.