View Single Post
Old 02-16-2017, 09:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
Re: 6 speed consideration

Great info guys. I've been researching TAE auto parts and they seem to have a good supply. However, further research has shown that if I were to go with the R180 differential, I would also need the hub/knuckle as well? Apparently the axles associated with the R180 are larger in diameter and require the wrx/sti hub assembly for fitment.

If this is true, shocks and struts would need to be modified as well no? I can't imagine everything else bolting right up to the knuckle.

A quick question on the R180 (3.9 final drive ratio) vs the R160 (3.54 final drive ratio). If I were able to obtain a 2006-2007 6 speed as mentioned above, i could remain with the stock svx rear differential. Will this mean that my final cruising speed would be similar/exact to the auto? meaning, at 60 mph in 6th i'd be at about 2k rpm?

Thinking this through (i am doing a lot of calculations and reading, while writing this)...the rear differential associated with the 6 speed is the R180 with a 3.9 final drive ratio, however effectively 3.54 due to the 1.1:1 center differential, correct? So then i'd have two options, remain with the stock svx differential and if i so choose down the road go with the 180 which would require modification for fitment and the WRX/STI axles, correct?