View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 05:41 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Re: Transmission care

Na, there's no way a screen can get clogged. Aside from it being a very large surface area of a not very fine mesh I've never seen a clogged screen and I've rebuilt a lot of blown 4EAT transmisisons. I've had maybe half a dozen full of chunks of frictions that have fallen apart and maybe 4 full of chunks of bearings but I have never seen a clogged one. Even most blown 4EATs have clean screens.

The pump actually pumps a very large volume of fluid even at low RPMs. It incorporates a hydraulic feedback mechanism controling the volume of the vane pump so that the volume per rotation is higher at low rpms and lower at high rpms so that the actual volume pumped is equalized across the RPM spectrum. The sole reason for low line pressure at light cruise is the programming of the TCU. The stock programming has a very high solenoid a duty ratio under light cruise which bleeds of a whole lot of line pressure; there is no lack of fluid flow volume preventing a higher line pressure. That is easily accomplished by adjusting the main line pressure maps for each gear. Reprogramming the TCU with more line pressure in light cruise in 3rd and 4th gear or any gear's main map for that matter doesn't cause hard shifts or transfer clutch binding either. There are seperate maps and routines dictating the line pressure during gear changes and turns.