View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010, 04:04 PM
Phil & Belha

Re: People to watch out for

Here's a very interesting thread: http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/99254-r32...-any-help.html

Quote:
I just had homeland security come to my house (after owning the car for about a week, (agents said it was just bad timing on my part nothing triggered it i just owned the car at the time)) in Houston, TX and tell me that my gtr was illegally imported and needs to be seized. They said that they are cracking down on all "illegal" skylines in the country and it was part of some big skyline investigation or some crap. I have the seizure warrant if anyone wants proof.

By "illegal" they mean r32's and 34s without DOT bond releases. There is NO WAY for me to get it back as a race car, show car, offroad, etc. The car is not technically significant, prepped for track, etc to qualify for those sections, so i am being forced to export it. Lets not get into the debate about legal versus not legal in this thread. I was just another one of those guys who thought that titled, registered meant legal, but now i know after talking with many head honchos at DOT.
Sorry for all the negative posts. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from buying this car. Just to dispel any myths that the legal problems associated with owning a JDM car in the US can be easily overcome. Dayle and Earl will have done their research and know this stuff already. It looks like a very nice car and I know that whoever buys it will treasure it. I wish them both the best of luck.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II

Last edited by b3lha; 01-26-2010 at 04:15 PM.