View Single Post
Old 09-13-2005, 07:21 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Don't know where you get the idea that the SVX engine will break with this blower set-up. Mike was going to run about 7/9 lbs, this is only a low pressure, and as such won't stress the engine internals at all. Raising the rev range will stress the internals a lot more, but with the added torque right through the rev range, there is no need to run it, at high rpms to use the power. I would not have recommended the set-up in the first place, if i thought it would damage the engine.

The end result will be, as if the engine was replaced with a 5lt engine with the same torque curve, only 50/60% higher. Depending on the use the car gets, will control the problems that may show. For instance, useing it for normal driving, there should be no problems. Useing for circuit racing, where the boost is going to be maintained for extended peroids, could show a need for extra engine cooling, and maybe some water injection at the top of the boost scale to prevent detonation and maintain the power level.

The main point is the engine rpm/to boost pressure. If full boost is applied at very low rpms, detonation would be a real problem, the throttle would have to be moderated to limit the boost, till the rpm rises. the engine should take the full pressure from about 2500. This should not happen if you are using the 4eat, as the box will allways bring the rpms up as the load is applied(change down, converter multiplacation). But if a manual is used, you could get full boost at 1500 rpm, this would cause uncontrolled detonation, even retarded spark won't prevent it.

Which brings us to the transmission. I would recommend the 4eat, Euro box that you have, as I believe this is the only box that can servive behind this engine. It can handle the full torque, from a standing start. A 5 speed manual will be a pain in the arse to drive, there will be large amounts of torque at any rpm. You will find that, out of the 6 gears, you will take off in 1st shift to 4th then to 6th. You will have to use 1st because the clutch won't handle a 2nd gear take off. That brings us to the clutch. It is possible that this engine will produce 400+ft/lbs of torque at 1500 rpm from a standing start, what 4cyl clutch is going to connect this up? Sure a blowen WRX can put out this sort of torque, but not from a standing start, the boost isn't there at low rpms. A twin plate clutch would do the service, if you can stand the rattles.

They are having troubles useing these boxs behind standard engines.
Don't think you need these problems Tony. The blowen engine, with the auto box and the 3.7:1 diff. will make for a reliable, fuss free, Dessertrunner.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.