View Single Post
Old 10-31-2011, 05:49 PM

Registered SVX
Thumbs up Re: Good day everyone :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
Welcome to the club!
Reading is coming!
Thanks Tom Can't wait, lots to do before then though, and most likely lots of questions for ya as well

Thanks for pointing out my oops sicksubie Had a few cold ones in me when I posted

Glad to be here. And I love this car, 2 days into owning it Definitely will buy another one or fix this one if it dies in the distant future

As for the HIR bulbs, they are a halogen bulb that outputs 75% of the light output of an HID, with next to no increase in heat output over a stock halogen. Also a fraction of the price of (legal) HID "kits", so its a more viable option for me. I really don't feel like spending $2k or so on a proper, DOT legal Hella HID setup, then still having to build mounting brackets, etc to make them work If anyone else is interested in maybe trying the HIR bulbs out, shoot me a PM. I'm a reseller for Hella and can give ya a price break I currently carry the Philips 9012 (low beam replacement) and the Toshiba 9011 bulbs (high beam replacement). Just a quick rundown of the HIR bulbs:

Quote:
9012/HIR2/9006 55W Halogen Infrared Bulb by Philips

Philips

9012/HIR2/9006 55W Halogen Infrared Bulb by Philips
Philips 9012/HIR2/9006 55W Halogen Infrared Bulb.

• 3000 Lumens
• life 1400 Hours
• Color 3450 Deg K

General Electric patented this new technology in 2000. Their goal was to create a bulb that produces as many lumens as an HID capsule, at a fraction of the cost. They got about 75% of the way there. The technology was licensed to Toshiba for automotive use. It is the standard bulb for Dodge Vipers and C6 Corvettes.

Subsecquently, Toshiba sold the technology to Philips who have improved the bulb with a 40% increased design life and 25% greater output.
The technology originally involves a specially shaped quartz globe which has multiple layers of semi--reflective materials deposited on the inside surface of the bulb. The coating reflects a portion of the Infra red energy emitted by the filament back to the filament causing it to glow hotter and produce more light, which escapes through the uncoated portion of the globe. Even though the filament runs hotter, the bulb produces about the same amount of heat as a stock bulb. The new Philips design has returned to a tubular envelope.

Interestingly enough, the 9012 bulb can be used in a 9006 lamp with a simple modification with a Dremel tool or file. Due to federal regulations, we can not make this modification, but you, the end user, can. The material to remove is marked on each bulb.