View Single Post
Old 05-03-2007, 01:29 PM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
I'll pretty much reiterate what everyone's said so far. I bought a 96 LSi as well at around 100K miles, and here's the problems I've had (misdiagnoses notwithstanding!)
  • Window switch for passenger side front on drivers door only brings window up, does not let it down
  • Killed the stock speakers (front)
  • Knock sensors (both)
  • Loose heat shields
  • Cracked resonator
  • Loose baffle in the muffler
  • Blew front seal and cam seal (oily!)
  • Headlights going yellow!
  • Both rear wheel bearings
  • One front wheel bearing
  • Dead battery

This sounds like a long list, but for an 11 (actually almost 12) year old car that's not half bad. Note that my radiator and all hoses were replaced before I got the car, and that I've owned three SVXi... if I don't know how to care for them by now I'll never learn

Hints for long life? Oil changes ever 3-5000 with GOOD synthetic, check (smell) transmission fluid at every gas stop (first sign of burning smell, get your transmission serviced... or every 25K or so failing that). Good quality air and oil filters are also a must... though if you use a K&N or some other oiled cotton air filter then be sure to put their oil on SPARINGLY when you clean it or you'll foul up your MAF.

Beyond that, they're great cars. They're heavier than they look, but the weight's down low. As a result, you can throw the car around quite a bit, but if you feel the traction start to break then be careful; the mass will work against you once traction's gone.

I almost sold my latest SVX about a month ago... I had stored it for a year and didn't feel like fixing it. However, once I did a couple of repairs and started driving her again the old addiction was back. Now I've started upgrading the sound system; I'm an hopeless case

Good luck!

Oh... and if you buy then stick around here. The advice you'll get from most of the members is invaluable... and the friends you'll make are worth their weight in wheel bearings

My Rides:
Red 1996 SVX LSi (Saffron)
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 (Kaitlin)

Previously owned; green '95 L AWD (sold), black/pearlie '94 LSi (too many problems), Polo Green '96 SVX LSi (apparently notThe end of an era)

Member #2 in the Yahoo! club, been here since the beta-testing days. In dire need of a cheaper hobby.