Thread: 5sp conversion
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2002, 11:12 PM
MRieger

5 speed, choosing

Beware, when choosing a 5 speed. Generally the tougher transmissions have hydraulic clutches and the cable clutches should be avoided. They also do not have viscous centre diffs only the turbo variants.

The early turbo transmissions (‘92 to ’94) do not have the same front and rear diff ratios for the 3.9 final drive, due to having very different internals, they have a 1.1:1 transfer ratio and a 3.545 rear diff, this gives an overall 3.9 ratio. The newer WRX and Legacy twin turbo can vary depending on country or purpose, usually 4.444 or 4.111, sometimes 3.900. I’m not sure on the transfer ratio, but I think it’s 1:1 for later turbo transmissions. Will post update is I discover this is not the case.

Anyway, just be aware of the strength of the transmission you choose and know which diff ratios are required at each end.

You might also want to have the viscous centre of both centre and rear diffs checked while everything is in pieces, they do wear out. Or change them for something better.

The viscous diffs centre and rear make a big difference, for the previous four years I have had two Legacys, one has viscous diffs centre and rear while the other doesn’t. Most noticeable on uneven or loose surfaces under power. The difference is the ability to accelerate flat out with a rooster tail of gravel or spin one wheel with jerky acceleration. An SVX 5 speed without the viscous diffs would be a step backwards.

I had a look at a WRX STi (206 kW, 280 hp) on the show room floor yesterday, bigger turbo, 6 speed, brakes like serving plates and water spray are some of the distinguishing features. Nice showy wing too. BTW an SVX does not need a 6 speed, but if you modified the power to be very peaky it would be handy. My favourite is still the Legacy RSK twin turbo, similar price, and power, but different drivability and practicality. The local dealer is selling about two a month of each (about US$30,000 on the road), and they have only been sold since December. Not bad considering the population serviced is only 150,000!