View Single Post
Old 01-21-2003, 10:37 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII
To me the most beautiful car was the Ferrari Berlinetta Lusso. It was an early 60's Pinin Farina design.
I also loved the look of the Lamborghini Miura.
Here are some others:
The Corvair SS
The Alfa Disco Volante' show car
The '57 Caddy Eldorado Brougham
'94 Chrysler LHS and current Dodge Intrepid.

To me these were all beautifully integrated designs. Every individual feature seemed to enhance the whole.

I do not think the 350 Z or any of the designs that mimic the Audi TT clunkiness are pretty. Todays modern deigns do not have characteristics that flow into each other gracefully. A good example of poor design is the new 350 Z and the new BMW Z4. The Z4 has too many conflicting creases on the side.
Of course Larry picks an Italian! I agree that most of the modern designs don't go well together. I attribute much of it to computer designs which aren't followed up by a model until way late in the design process. By then its too late to change things, instead they just tweek it. As for a vehicle that everything flows gracefully. Take a look at a Lotus 7. Form meets function and still it remains graceful and purposeful.