View Single Post
Old 05-23-2007, 09:05 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I'm not in total agreement re: the voltage drop being as great as the author stated, at least not in respect to a properly functioning circuit, but I can understand his theory.

I believe the placement of the alternator (or generator, as many OEs now prefer to call it) output wire was what the author was trying to explain. His insight is that having the output wire tied directly to the battery while the sensing wire a significant distance downstream is a problem. He is calling the portion of the circuit between the battery and the load/sensing circuit a significant voltage drop. His theory is that if the sensing wire and output wire join the load at this downstream point, a higher voltage will be available to the loads while it tends to be slightly 'buffered' (reduced by the voltage drop of the circuit between the splice point and the battery) by the time it reaches the battery. For years I have wondered why OEs had designed the output circuit as lengthy as he described. I have never witnessed an output wire routed directly to a battery, it always connects to the load/supply splice point. As the author also states, this may explain why a number of owners have had short battery life issues, even though they had "...installed the alternator mod some time ago."

Last edited by Beav; 05-23-2007 at 09:09 PM.