View Single Post
Old 05-17-2002, 09:44 PM
deligeds

New SCP 5-speed - Initial Review (long)

Well, if you've seen Brian Steel's recent post, you know that I'm the proud owner of a new Small Car Performance 5-speed. I'd been planning (dreaming of) the project for many months. Around the time that Brian began offering the conversion package, my gearset of choice became available, and I couldn't resist.

Here are a few specifics:

- MY 99 (or 00?) Impreza 5-speed case
- PAR Engineering heavy duty 1st - 4th synchro gearset rated at over 400ft-lbs
- Gear ratios: 3.18/1.94/1.35/0.97, plus a custom 0.70 fifth
- Stock Impreza flywheel
- Clutch Masters FX300 clutch and pressure plate w/ 110% holding capacity over stock
- Impreza 4.11 front and rear diff w/ limited slip
- STi tranny mounts
- and a slick looking shift knob w/ 4 relay-control buttons on top

Rather than ship the car to WA, I opted for the roadtrip (actually just got back). Seeing that it's no short trip from Tacoma to Kansas City, I've had plenty of time to get re-acquainted with the SVX, so here are my first impressions:

Overall, the feel of the car is amazingly different. After driving the 4EAT for over 6 years, the improvements in responsiveness and control are striking. The car can still be driven smoothly, but it begs to be pushed through the lower gears with gusto. The H-6 and its broad torque band really shine in 2nd and 3rd.

I think that the CM FX300 ended up being a good choice for the clutch. It feels solid, but engages smoothly and easily. I don't think I'd want any less clamping force, and Brian indicated that his ACT pressure plate/stock clutch combo was a bit more jerky. I haven't tried any hard launches since the disc is still in the break-in period, but I'll let you know.

The PAR gears were imported in a group-buy from Australia where they're more commonly used in high-perf Imprezas. In the past, PAR has sold mostly "dog boxes" (no synchros, double-clutching, etc.) for race applications. The synchro set is pretty new, so I'm kind of acting as a guinea pig even for the Impreza community. My initial impression is that the gears shift smoothly, and the ratios feel about right for the SVX. But the investment will only be worthwhile if they last for many years.

The car revs quite a bit higher in 5th than it did in lock-up 4th with the 4EAT, even with the custom 0.70 ratio. I was running 60 at about 2500 rpm, 70 at 2950, and 80 at 3450. Driving was very comfortable at 80 and above, but fuel economy suffered a bit. My best tank on the return trip was just under 25 mpg, averaging between 75 and 80 on the interstate. That's down 1 or 2 mpg for me, but I expect that it will be closer to normal in the 60-70 mph range.

Other minor downsides: 1.) Cruise control. It works fine, but the combination of higher rpms and the lack of a cushioning torque converter leaves a bit to be desired in the smooth ride category. You can really feel the throttle opening and closing as it maintains speed. 2.) Slow-engagement take-offs aren't quite as smooth as they could be. I wouldn't say there's a shudder, but its just not perfectly smooth. Brian thinks this may be due to the soft-ish engine mounts, but I'm hoping it will improve somewhat as the clutch breaks in.

Bottom line, the 5-speed SVX is truly an awe-inspiring automobile - I'm immensely pleased with the conversion. Brian and his staff were great to work with - knowledgable, friendly, accomodating, etc. They obviously appreciate and care about the nuances of the SVX, and, IMHO, their price for the conversion is more than fair.

Hopefully, I'll be able to borrow my friends digital camera soon, and get some pics posted. I've also got many "before" G-tech runs, so I'll be able to post meaningful before/after times once the clutch is good to go. BTW, if anyone in the area is interested in checking her out, I'll be glad to oblige.

P.S. As a side note, I had to filter this initial review out of possibly the most annoying drive of my life. Any guesses? How about 1500 miles of the roaring, howling, nerve-grating hell we all know as "rear wheel bearing". Went out at about the midway point . . . of WA! My g** d*** ears are still ringing!