Old 12-13-2006, 04:00 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha
In the interest of good conversation, somebody has to take the contrary view:

Inappropriate speed is certainly dangerous and stupid, but on the basis of the information given, are we so sure that his speed was inappropriate? I don't believe that high speed on public roads is necessarily unsafe. I would certainly do it if I found myself on a German autobahn. Wouldn't you?

The road in question is described as a four lane divided highway. I presume that means it is a wide fairly straight road with a good surface and crash barriers. Not too different from an autobahn. He was not far from home, so presumably he knows the road quite well. In a rural area in the middle of the night there would (presumably) be little or no other traffic around. The car is a very capable machine and being only two years old is likely to be in good roadworthy condition.

Would it be different if it had been a more experienced driver, perhaps a cop or medic driving at 142mph on their way to save somebody's life? What do you consider to the be maximum safe speed in these circumstances? I would say it's a good deal higher than 55 mph.

In 2005 the premise that high speed equals dangerous driving was put to the test in a British court. The judge decided that PC Mark Milton was not driving dangerously despite doing 159mph in circumstances similar to those above. This link gives a good explanation: http://www.safespeed.org.uk/milton.html
Gee Phil, you're as left wing as ever

I suppose you were setting off fireworks when you heard the news about Pinochet?

Whatever about dangerous driving, which carries a criminal conviction over here, I still maintain doing such a speed and not being aware that the long arm of the law is feeling your collar is at the very least inattentive.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl