View Single Post
Old 09-06-2005, 05:45 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
I thought that I would share with everyone my experience about getting SVXY's tranny rebuilt. I had it done at an independently owned, Benchmark transmission shop on rte. 13 in Claymont, DE. They had rebuilt a myriad of Suby trannys and 3 SVX trannys before mine. Rafferty Subaru wanted $3300, which includes the core excgange rebate to replace my transmission. Benchmark quoted me $1900-2200 depending what they found when they removed & opened the tranny. It actually cost me $2400 because many of the hard metal parts needed replacement. I saw most of the tranny internals on the bench and many of the metal parts were scored and discolored (blued). It took 2 weeks because I could only bring and pickup the car on Saturdays, and they needed to order parts and it took about a week to get them. They also put in an auxiliary ATF cooler. This past Saturday I bought a lifetime warrantee from them at an additional cost of $450. So the total came to $2850. This warrantee covers everything in the tranny but not the differentials. It requires free inspection once per year inspection. I change the tranny fluid once per year, anyway.
I have had the car for 2 weeks now and my initial impressions are that the tranny is very tight. It seems much firmer than the tranny in my '97 SVX even when that SVX was new.
I will report on the state of the tranny in about 6 mos.
Now, to fix that oil leak.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!