View Single Post
Old 11-23-2003, 10:52 AM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
I am going to ask you to compare apples to apples. You can not compare a 92SVX to a 2000+ GTP. That's just not fair. Do a comparison between 92SVX to majority of 92 American cars or hell japanese/European cars. Now we have something we can compare.

Got news for you fellas...it's a 1994 GTP, not a 2000. If it was a 2000, i wouldn't even bother to comment because those cars have been rated one of the most reliable and well built cars around, not only once...but by just about every reputable source. It's been on Car & Driver's ten best list since 2000. Again, no subarus on that list. So the car i'm speaking of is only 2 years newer than Mandi's SVX. Not only does it have much fewer problems, but the ones it does have cost 1/10th of the price to fix. Except for timing belts...for some reason it costs $800 to do the timing belts on the GTP and mandi got hers done for $300. But that's routine maintenance anyway.

I do not rule out American cars automatically, but every time I own one I begin to notice some really poor quality in many areas. My relatives mostly drive current model American cars. Some are nice, most are not.

There is not a car out there that doesn't have quality problems in some areas. Like the electrical systems on the mighty BMWs. Or Honda and Chrysler's transmissions. Or GM's starters and alternators, or Ford's Cylinder heads, or Mercedes Benz's engines, or Subaru's suspensions...the list goes on and on.

My point is simply that American cars these days are equals to the foreign makers in quality and reliability. In fact you can't even differentiate between domestic and foreign anymore cause there is no such thing. Chryslers are a perfect example of this. GM now shares platforms between the US and europe, Hondas and Acuras are made in Ohio now. And i know of alot of other foreign makers that build on US soil, just can't remember exactly where at the moment. The point is, there really is no such thing as foreign or domestic anymore, so how can we say there is a diference in quality? Every car has it's problems, and i don't see any consistency in the problems that people talk about in american cars.

also remember the gtp is s-charged. thats the only reason it can even move, though i was a pontiac fan and applaude them for trying.

Side note: the 1994 GTP is not supercharged...it's a 3.4L DOHC motor making 215hp/240lb. torque. the 1994-96 GTP is one second faster to 60mph than the 97+ GTP with the supercharger. For a good comparison, the 94-96 GTP was faster than the 94-96 Mustang GT (V8). The 97-2003 Grand Prix GT has 200hp (no supercharger) and next to the GTP, was the fastest car in it's class. Trust me, GM has never had problems with power.

Last edited by Shadow248; 11-23-2003 at 11:05 AM.