View Single Post
Old 02-14-2010, 05:02 PM
Phil & Belha

Re: Memory dump of ECU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Sorry Phil, not at the moment.

Often small custom made sub assemblies are attached, as means of economical and convenient assembly of a complete board. If you are in the mood, a side on photo showing the detail could help.

Regards, Trevor.
There's no detail apart from what you can see in the last photo. The silicon wafer is about 4mm square and the window over it suggests that maybe it's sensitive to UV light. Maybe it was a cheap way of making an ASIC if only a small production run was required.

It's nice to know how to talk to the unit and log its data for diagnostics. Even if it could be modified, I'm not sure I would attempt it, as it is rare to the point of irreplaceability. I think as far as the hardware goes: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The only computer on my car that I haven't yet managed to talk to is the cruise control unit. I know the command byte is "AB", but I haven't found the trick of making it talk yet.

Does anybody know whether the latest Subaru Select Monitor can talk to the pre-OBD2 cars? The one that has update CDs rather than cartridges. I may be able to borrow a laptop with the SSM3 software, but all the cables with it are OBD2 connector. I suspect our cars may be considered obsolete and unsupported.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II