View Single Post
Old 07-23-2004, 04:48 PM
SVX Appeal

Quote:
Originally posted by soobiesvx93 [snip]I was told to do this by a number of people on the network because they say it will reduce heat. They all told me the higher the gear the higher the heat. And that its alot more easy going on the car.[/snip]
Then I disagree with a number of people on the network regarding this issue. The faster the parts are moving, the more heat they will generate, but also the faster the water pump and ATF pump are working so the better they are able to keep things cool. The net gain is roughly zero. However, there is some difference. By far the largest inefficiency in a car is waste heat. For any given amount of fuel, a certain percentage (about %25) will become useful energy for moving the car. The rest (about %75) will become heat. The more miles per gallon you get, the greater the percentage of energy being used to propel the car instead of being converted to waste heat. You get better mileage in higher gears, thus there is less heat.

Quote:
[snip]I also cant stand that damn torque converter lock up.[/snip]
That's too bad, because one of the largest heat generators in the transmission is the torque converter. By allowing it to lock up, you are eliminating the most inefficient component in the drivetrain.

Also, leaving the car in 3rd still allows the car to make that third gear shift, which is the problematic one anyway. What's the point?