View Single Post
Old 07-23-2004, 08:35 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Quote:
Originally posted by UberRoo
What gear you drive in is largely inconsequential to prolonging the life of your transmission, and limiting the available gears may in fact shorten it. It's the third gear that typically dies first, simply because of slippage - probably exacerbated by heat. If you still have your foot hard on the throttle during that third gear shift, you are giving that gear an extra-hard workout. I generally ease up just before that shift, (as I'm usually already going pretty fast by that point and it frequently just goes straight to fourth.)
I always drive in "3" and then when the car goes over 50 MPH or so il will shift up to D. I was told to do this by a number of people on the network because they say it will reduce heat. They all told me the higher the gear the higher the heat. And that its alot more easy going on the car. So i only use "D" when im on the highway or traveling on a long straight road where im going above 55 MPH. I also cant stand that damn torque converter lock up.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network