View Single Post
Old 01-12-2003, 01:37 PM

Kuoh, Huck,

Thanks for your help - your remote diagnostic was perfect, it was the timing belt jumping teeth. I've got the engine started and drove around the garage for a while.

I'm planning to drive it home with a minimum assembly (no covers, no a/c) etc and have a thorough look then.
Never thought I'd be doing timing belt in a multil-level parking garage late at night with a torch in my hand as the main source of light.

There are no obvious reasons for the failure - the belt is clean, dry, no teeths cracked or anything, pulleys rotate easily and silently. Water pump rotates like a new one (35k on it).

The belt does feel longer than when it was new - goes on much easier, but the tensioner eventually settles in a middle position, not fully extended.

I don't think I can test the oil pump - it is sitting on crankshaft directly.
There is still a couple of extra noises (one is lifter, the other don't know - maybe a piston slap, but I've never heard a definite piston slap before) that go away during warmup....

Sounds like my SVX have changed the status from the commuter car to don't know what yet.