View Single Post
Old 11-08-2009, 05:53 PM

Registered SVX
Re: '92 tranny in a '95?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
The original NC solenoid is still fitted. When I changed the EPROM and had binding, I thought that the C solenoid was the trouble, it was when I went to buy a new one, that I found that there was a difference in the latter models.
I decided to try fitting the fuse to see which way it would work, and found that is was giving the opposite results. Instead of locking the clutch, it turned it off, so I have been running it like that, till we could charge the EPROM program for the latter one.

I can't detect any difference in the way the car drives, other than it's willingness to spin the back wheels in any slippery conditions.
Although it is 36F/64R on the straight road, it still has the VTD function to change torque in corners by shifting torque to the front wheels. The tighter the corner, the more torque is applied to the front, so it still has the same ability to accelerate hard around tight corners, as it did with the clutch working.

I believe the real function of the clutch, is the same as the clutch in the US transfer model, and that is to;
1. Stop wheel spin when it starts.
2. Apply the clutch in accordance with road speed, gear position and amount of throttle applied to prevent wheel spin.

Harvey.
You advise that, “the original NC solenoid is still fitted.” Have you ever physically confirmed by examination, that the solenoid still fitted to your SVX is in fact a normally closed device?

You state that --- “it still has the VTD function to change torque in corners by shifting torque to the front wheels. The tighter the corner, the more torque is applied to the front, so it still has the same ability to accelerate hard around tight corners, as it did with the clutch working."

Just how do you contend that there can be a variation/change, increasing torque bias towards the front during cornering, when the clutch operation has been overridden by means of the fuse switch?

My considerable experience, gained during successfully racing several front wheel drive cars, does not confirm the idea such that, “so it still has the same ability to accelerate hard around tight corners.” This I believe is simply advertising blurb to which you were no doubt exposed, created by Citroen during and post the mid thirties.

In practice the front wheels lose traction in tight corners, the inside one or both, even in spite of an after market optional LSD, and well before there can be any useful advantage as you describe. Absolute understeer is the crucial inhibiting factor, which calls for a special driving technique. During sedate cornering no advantage can be detected, and even then attendant disadvantages are apparent.

The real front drive advantage is the better use of available load space, rather than handling, which is in fact compromised, as is well proven via motor racing. However there is no denial that coping with the built in negative characteristics can be great fun, if you are skilled and appreciate what is involved. Hand brake turns are another issue.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!