View Single Post
Old 11-08-2009, 03:56 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: '92 tranny in a '95?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
This must mean that you have constant 36 --64 front rear bias. This will provide you with an interesting insight into the real value of the normal TCU control and brings up the question, as to whether there is any real difference in handling under normal driving conditions. Can you shed some light on this, as it will be of general interest?

It is not clear as to whether you actually have a normally close, or a normally open C solenoid fitted at present, i.e. when you are running with the fuse switch in place. Please advise in this regard as NiftySVX also requires this information.
The original NC solenoid is still fitted. When I changed the EPROM and had binding, I thought that the C solenoid was the trouble, it was when I went to buy a new one, that I found that there was a difference in the latter models.
I decided to try fitting the fuse to see which way it would work, and found that is was giving the opposite results. Instead of locking the clutch, it turned it off, so I have been running it like that, till we could charge the EPROM program for the latter one.

I can't detect any difference in the way the car drives, other than it's willingness to spin the back wheels in any slippery conditions.
Although it is 36F/64R on the straight road, it still has the VTD function to change torque in corners by shifting torque to the front wheels. The tighter the corner, the more torque is applied to the front, so it still has the same ability to accelerate hard around tight corners, as it did with the clutch working.

I believe the real function of the clutch, is the same as the clutch in the US transfer model, and that is to;
1. Stop wheel spin when it starts.
2. Apply the clutch in accordance with road speed, gear position and amount of throttle applied to prevent wheel spin.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.