Thread: Overheating
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2008, 04:02 AM

Re: Overheating

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
When the car gets to operating temperature (1/2 way on the gauge) feel the top and bottom radiator hoses. If the top hose is hot and lower is cold... the thermostat is sticking. If the top is hot and lower is warm... do the following

Crack the cap to release pressure into the overflow. If you get air out of the cap, it is likely that your head gasket has a slight compression leak. This pushes exhaust gases into your coolant and causes spikes in temperature and intermittent heat. If you find coolant overflowing out of the overflow bottle onto the drivers side frame rail, it is also a good indicator that the head gaskets are leaking. You may not find oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil, but that doesn't mean its not a problem.

Tom
Tom,

huh, never knew that coolant and oil not mixing does not meant it's not a problem... I'll check the upper and lower hose.

And is there a way to test the water pump by any chance? I'd much rather be 100% sure it's the water pump before I start changing the timing belt...also, is there not a DIY timing belt???

Last edited by coco-puff; 12-25-2008 at 04:05 AM.