Thread: Hummer H3
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2005, 04:06 PM
SVX Appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapaBavarian
The trouble with driving something that kicks butt off road on a regular basis is that it is a PITA to drive on road, and the hatred for SUVs baffels me, why no equal hatred for full sized trucks?
I hate large trucks even more than SUVs. I'm amazed how many people drive enormous trucks as though they were commuter vehicles. There seems to be a relationship between the size of the truck and how often it is used as a truck. The big ones actually seem to be used as a truck less often, which suggests that their primary purpose is as an extension of manhood. Most truck owners would be better served by a van or SUV, and most SUV owners would be better served by a van. Van's just aren't cool I guess. That's the marketing genius of SUVs. "Let's take a van, make it 4WD and give it some wild styling, and promote it as an adventure vehicle for manly men." Obviously, it was a good plan. Today people are left with fewer choices when it comes to vans because all the development has gone into SUVs. Not that SUVs are necessarily bad - they're not a horribly awful alternative - but a 4WD Astro van is just as functional, and the majority of owners will never use the 4WD, let alone need it.

Stock 4x4 today? Still a Unimog.

Speaking of PITA to drive on-road, I've always wanted a Ural 5323, or a TATRA. I'm not sure what for, but I've always wanted one.