Thread: Hummer H3
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2005, 07:47 AM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Just going by what GM said why they used the I5. It was something about hood clearance or something stupid like that.
That could be, but whatever it was apparently is no longer a problem.

Quote:
Lets take clearance as an example. It actually has less than a Wrangler when wheelbase and width is taken into acount plus due to its size it needs more clearance so it doesn't beach itself.
When you take wheelbase into account, the Wrangler comes up short by one quarter of an inch. The Wrangler also loses in approach and departure angles by a margin equally as slight. Yes the H2 is heavy, but it also has the torque to move that weight. Plus, and probably most importantly, it comes from the factory with pretty nice offroad tires.

Quote:
Torque yes, running gear no. I wouldn't trust it for going to the store let alone in 2 feet of snow. The best part about the jeep is the well $30k you'd save by not looking like a fat pig who can't get a hummer elsewhere so they need to buy one.
What you trust is of course your choice. It's like those window banners "It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand". They're right, I don't understand. Why would someone plop down $40k for a rough riding, short wheelbase, underpowered vehicle with an identity crisis? (note the inside is very car-like, as is the engine, while it's billed as a rugged off-road vehicle). I do however, agree with you on the price. Another example - you would be just as well off with a Tahoe or suburban, plus they are much cheaper and you wouldn't look like a wannabe driving one.