View Single Post
Old 02-03-2004, 09:11 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
<shrug>

Whether or not Rob believes me doesn't make that much of a difference to me. I've said over and over again that I saw that 31.4mpg only once. It's therefore possible that my records or my math were wrong. I suspected that immediately when I came up with that figure, so I checked and rechecked it many times. I looked at my gas receipts to make sure that I had, in fact, burned the fuel I thought I had. I looked back at the mileage log I was keeping for the trip.

I can provide no other proof. I doubt that my records or my math were wrong. I would definitely agree with Rob that this mileage was not normal - it was indeed anomalous.

Could I reproduce it? That's difficult to say. I don't drive the car that much differently than I used to (conservatively), but I might find it difficult to find such a flat stretch of freeway with no traffic that forces me to slow down and speed up often.

I'm also unwilling to put that many miles on my car.

Rob, I don't blame you for being skeptical. I'd call that healthy. I think what this comes down to is whether or not you trust my honesty and ability to do basic math. If you don't, then you can leave it at that and learn nothing. If you do, then maybe we can examine why some people get better mileage than you instead of just calling all of us liars.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 02-03-2004 at 09:30 AM.