View Single Post
Old 04-19-2004, 09:43 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Legacy transmission filter???

When we last left our hero, he had apprently messed up the transmission in the Legacy to the point that it would roll in 'Park.'

I got the extension back off and, sure enough, the spring is chewed up into about tn small pieces. They seem to have immediately found their way into the pan.

Ah, yes, the pan. Where the filter resides. I'd like to replace the filter, but I've got a problem. Advance Auto has two filters listed for the car. I ran into the same problem with the '90 Legacy, so I brought the old one with me just in case.

And neither of Advance's filters are an exact match. One has a pickup that's about a quarter inch too long, but isn't stamped in the same shape.The other has pretty much no pickup (1/8" deep) but is stamped in the right shape.

Will the one with no pickup work okay? I figure the whole thing's bathed in ATF anyway, but I wasn't going to pay $30 for something that might work.

Anyway, I'm going to take the park return spring off the old SVX tranny I have laying on the garage floor. I think what I need to do this time is assemble it in 'Park' so the park rod holds everything together.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE