View Single Post
Old 12-18-2003, 01:31 AM
Palm Springs of Washington
Alcyone Gold Contributor

I had my daughter take the car to the b-ham dealer. they called and said that the drivers side rear pad had worn down to a metal to metal contact on the disc. Estimate for 1 new rotor/new pads/ restore caliper slides- $650. I don't know if that was for them replacing one side, or both, but it seemed steep to me.
I drove up to b-ham, pulled the car out of the dealers lot and sure enough, the exterior pad had gone down to metal, but the interior pad had about 60% material left, and the passenger side had about 60% pad left on both int and ext. Could the pad have separated from the backing and just dissappeared? I just did brakes on the car 14 months ago (turned front rotors and replaced rears rotors) and all the other pads look fine. Anyway, I put her snow tires on the 92 that I bought, and dropped in a set of pads on the bad wheel so that I could get the car home. I think that the rotor may be able to be turned and still be OK, if not, one of the rotors that I took last year still has enough material to turn (if I can find it).
So, I did buy the silver svx from Stewarts, no warranty expressed or implied, and figure that if the tranny goes, I knew it was shaky and will just pull it and have aamco rebuild it....
So now I have 2 svx's (even if one of them is away).
Have you ever heard of a disc brake pad delaminating?