Old 03-03-2003, 03:17 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by CDG
Its great to read all this info.

Another note to all, the shifter will go from "P" all the way to "3" when slid, it does not stop at "D" but stops at "3"

Why is that?
a) Because its broken,
b) Because it was designed that way.

Hmmm
Chris

They are all this way. Except maybe, it is meant to snick into D first, if it is slipping back to 3 very easily, maybe the cable mechanism needs tightening up.

It stops at 3 to make it difficult to downshift to 2 at high speed, and break up the internals. I use this feature a lot when about to overtake. It is designed to allow you to pull back the lever to 3 and stop there, knowing you will not select 2 and do damage. If you use this method, remember not to squeeze the button, just pull the shifter.

Interesting that Ron has the same problem, only he is too lazy to pull the shifter. I checked out mine this morning on the school run. Driving in D on a light throttle, it upshifts to D4 at about 45mph [tops out Lwin?] My clock is in kms, but roughly 45 all right.

This is too low a speed as our antipodean duo are suggesting. For the high final drive I believe it should not select 4 till the car is doing more than 60mph. Mine are more for reasons of driveability than the technical reasons Harvey has explained so well. Of course the technical operational features underpin the way the car gets the power to the road.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl