View Single Post
Old 01-06-2019, 02:08 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Trunk Fuel Resistor

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflystyle View Post
* The modulator and resistor is in the trunk of the car. The found cable was found under the front of the car. After checking what I could under the car, nothing seemed to be amiss or obviously missing a cable such as the one that I found.

* The bracket is solidly connected to ground.

* There is NO continuity between the metal casing of the resistor and the bracket (and other ground points in the trunk). This was tested as you suggested with the resistor attached to the bracket, with the resistor plug disconnected from any connections. This was just using my basic multi-meter with the audible beep check enabled. With the resistor connected to the wiring harness, there is continuity between the metal casing and car/ground.

I specifically advised:- "Check with an ohmmeter set for a high a resistance in order to show any possible connection between either and both plug pins and the case. You are testing for a possible high resistance rather than a low resistance as when checking for faulty continuity.
You are testing for possible continuity or even partial continuity, between the inner resistor element and its case, as this would ground the pump and cause it to run continuously unmodulated at full speed. Even if the short circuit is of high resistance this can change as a result of heat during its operation. It would be preferable to use a proper insulation tester operating at an increased voltage, but in this instance an ohmmeter will suffice."

* So with both the resistor and modulator unplugged and bolted to the car:
  • The pin/plug on the modulator has continuity to many ground points on the car.
  • The pin/plug on the resistor has NO continuity with any ground points on the car. I tried both the original resistor on the car when the problems started as well as the second-hand replacement I ordered during this troubleshooting ordeal.

Refer above regarding specific instructions for testing for a high resistance to ground.

* This really scares me and I hope it is not the case

Please refer notes inserted above. Whatever, you will have to hope and accept that a short circuit is not involved.

You have now lost me and I have no idea as to exactly what is the current situation as earlier you advised that the car started. I must therefore leave you to your own devices.

Best of luck, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!