View Single Post
Old 05-29-2004, 08:28 PM
SVX Appeal

Looks like I'm going to have to figure out exactly what that transmission came from. Subaru made several changes to the 4EAT between 1998 and 2002, (which is roughly the year of manufacture for the transmission in question,) including a few extra solenoids and speed sensors. Looks like they made some pretty neat improvements actually. The SVX TCU wouldn't do justice to some versions, but it might do the job anyway.

Since it looks like it'll bolt up, I don't have any excuses now except parting with money for the rest of the project. If anybody knows of a great source of wiring diagrams and a way to identify the transmission via serial number, that'd be helpful. I'm probably going to need to visit the dealership with a case of beer and puckered lips.

I noticed that the CV shafts for the L-series are different depending on weather it's a turbo or non-turbo model. The turbo CV splines on the tulip don't fit on the side gear output shafts on the non-turbo transmission - they're too big. Did Subaru standardize the spline size somewhere along the way? I hear about 5MT, 6MT, Legacy 4EAT, and Impreza 4EAT swaps, and nobody seems to have any problems with the CVs mating up. Just wondering.

Oh yeah. I understand low gearing would liven things up, but I like those super-steep gears. More power is the way to go. I'll, ummm, uh, let you know when I find a way to get some.

Last edited by UberRoo; 05-29-2004 at 08:30 PM.