View Single Post
Old 01-14-2008, 12:52 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SURTEESS View Post
Well - I bought the car second hand 12 years ago (does that make me the longest surviving SVX owner?) it had only 15k on the clock - the car is a red Dec 95 with now only 115km done & yes no the number plate is not for sale.

The glass shakes (maybe 2-3mm when pushed at top/bottom/side to side) - I suspect that it is on a ball socket & there is some sort of clamping arrangement arround the ball that was loose at the time that I bought the car - it is quite annoying at night as the lights of following cars seem to flicker & catch your eye - the other mirror is tight on the pivot point.

I have full set of manuals & have not seen any postings as to what the mechanism is (or for that matter how to get the mirror off) - I presume you need to remove the door lining etc ....

Any help would be great as this is the only thing I have had to do to the car in all the years that I have owned it (apart form adding a towing hitch, & the JDM had a rear window shelf de-ioniser/blower for the rear passengers to get some fresh air).

Pictures are on the following pages - all taken in Auckland, New Zealand.

http://www.subarusvx.com/images/carpics/red/red074.jpg

http://www.subarusvx.com/images/carpics/red/red075.jpg

http://www.subarusvx.com/images/carpics/red/red076.jpg

http://www.subarusvx.com/images/carpics/red/red077.jpg

thanks for any help (or photos / links on the subject)

Steve
Oh, so your car is 1 of 1! I have seen the tow hitch picture before, nice car you have.

Steve, you did not answer my query as to whether the mirror glass is loose from the plastic backing card [you could check this by noting if the plastic lip remains all around the mirror glass as you move the glass the 2-3mm you mention]

I suspect the glass is secure to the plastic, and the whole assembly is loose and wobbly. There may be an easy cure for this. Attend carefully.

You will be aware the mirror moves smoothly in the left-right or up-down axes when you use the electric controller. You may not be aware that the mirror pivot can be moved manually through a very broad range independent of the motor. This is so that you can arrange the mirror in the best position relative to your seating position. You are correct about the ball & socket arrangement, but each mirror pivot will move for physical pushing through a number of "steps". These steps seem to be about 5 degrees apart, and when you have selected a step or spot, this then becomes the central position around which the motor moves the glass plane, right-left, up-down.

If the one "step" you are using has come loose, there is the possibility if you can move it to a nearby position, the new position might be tighter. If all the positions on that mirror are shaky, then you will have no option but to take off the mirror by taking off the screws at the back, like you suggest.

Here is how you should check it out; first, before you try the shaky mirror, try out the steps on the good passenger side. Grip the mirror housing firmly, with a thumb on the glass on each side. Press firmly one side, letting the other thumb up, of course, until you hear the dull inner click as it moves position. The first time you try this you will probably push it three or four clicks or more, so go easy.

Now that you know how much pressure to apply to achieve a click, try the same on your loose mirror. If you manage to click it into a nearby tight position, you problem is solved, just readjust with your electric switch. If it won't click, or if all positions are loose, then you must take off the housing and tighten the ball joint.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl